The Cross and Flame.  Click to Return to Home Page.West Lafayette United Methodist Church History--Chronological Outline

Chronological Outline
1831 Methodist Protestant Society Known as Loos' Class
Met in private homes
1836 Methodist Protestant Society or Class
Met at Loos Log School House east of West Lafayette on now 751
1842 Methodist Protestant built church on north side of Cadiz Road
Now State Route 751, just east of the intersection of Orchard Street at College Park
Church called Plains Chapel, Ferguson Church or Brick Chapel Church
Met there until 1892
1852 Methodist Episcopal met in homes
1858 Methodist Episcopal built church at Northeast corner of Wall Avenue & Russell Avenue
1887 Methodist Episcopal built church at Southeast corner of Russell Avenue & Oak Street
1892 Methodist Protestant built church at Southeast corner of Main Street & Gay Street
1939 Methodist Protestant + Methodist Episcopal + AME became Methodist Church
1958 Merger of the Trinity Methodist Church and Main Street Methodist Church
To be known as The Methodist Church of West Lafayette
1962 Methodist Church phase 1 Sanctuary built at Union Avenue & Oak Street
1968 Phase 2 Education Wing built
1969 Methodist Church + United Church of Christ + Evangelical United Brethren became United Methodist Church
1969 Trinity Methodist Church, known as Asbury Hall, torn down and bell saved
1976 Bell Tower erected
2001 Phase 3 Family Life Center built in 2000 was consecrated January 4, 2001

Return to History

Top | Home | Calendar | History | Missons | Music | Pastor | Precious Treasures | Staff | Sunday School | Worship | Youth




Last Updated: Oct-1-2013
West Lafayette United Methodist Church